NatRoad encourages members and our industry to continue to practice correct hygiene protocols while using the dedicated truck stop facilities and truck driver lounges on their route to delivering vital cargo.
We have worked very closely with the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) and the National Cabinet to ensure that roadhouses, dedicated truck stop facilities and truck driver lounges remain open.
Access to these services is currently exempt from the current COIVD-19 Government closure of restaurants.
However, this exemption will only remain in place if our industry continues to adhere to the strict hygiene protocol surrounding COVID-19.
When using these facilities please be mindful to respect and treat essential workers with courtesy and follow the safety procedures for social distancing and good hygiene.
Social distancing in roadhouses, dedicated truck stop facilities and truck driver lounges means:
- keeping 1.5 metres away from others
- avoiding physical greetings such as handshaking, hugs and kisses
- using tap and go instead of cash
- avoiding gathering in groups
- practicing good hygiene
How to practice good hygiene:
- cover your coughs and sneezes with your elbow or a tissue
- put used tissues straight into the bin
- wash your hands often with soap and water, including before and after eating and after going to the toilet
- use alcohol-based hand sanitisers
- avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- clean and disinfect frequently used objects such as mobile phones, keys, wallets and work passes
Additional tips for hygiene practices for drivers can be found on our website – A guide for drivers and other workers in freight, logistics and transport industries
We recognise that access to these essential amenities is important so that you can take regular breaks and eat properly whilst delivering your vital cargo.
Do the right thing, uphold these health directions and let’s keep delivering the vital goods to Australians.