The Festive Season is almost here, and so are Christmas parties.
As we mentioned last newsletter, changes to Federal laws mean employers now have a positive obligation to make sure work-related social occasions are free of sexual harassment, discrimination, and bullying.
Here are seven ways you can ensure your business stays on the right side of the law:
- Have clear policies and procedures outlining the expected behaviour of employees in relation to drug and alcohol use, sexual harassment, discrimination, and bullying.
- Ensure employees are educated about these policies and procedures by providing employees with a copy of them so they are aware of what is expected.
- Send a notification to remind employees that Christmas Parties are work functions and they need to behave in line with company policies.
- Plan for employees to get home safely at the end of the function.
- Make sufficient food available at the function proportionate to the quantity of alcohol available. Serve alcohol responsibly.
- Nominate an employee/s at a managerial level to supervise the function and confirm they know how to deal with any issues.
- Ensure if a complaint arises employees know who to go to, and it is dealt with promptly, with an option for it to be independently investigated if required.